Five Ways To Protect Ourselves From Sales Tax Laws For PhotographersFebruary 9, 2022
The California law states that for a photography sale to be non-taxable, you cannot supply any form of tangible personal property, including Hard Drives. You can only upload the photos to a computer owned by the customer or send them via electronic transfer.
Five ways to protect ourselves from the vague Sales Tax laws for Photographers:
- Change “Hard Drive” to Image or Digital Management.
- Have your retoucher electronically send images to the client directly.
- You digitally transfer all the images.
- Out-of-state clients with no offices in your state don’t require sales tax.
- Uploading all images to the client’s business computer is the official legal procedure.